Student Loan Entrance Counseling is an important required step in the financial aid process. We want to be sure that when you take out loans your fully understand what you're signing up for.
There are two ways to access Entrance Counseling:
- Select "Complete Counseling" on the left-hand navigation bar
- Select "Entrance Counseling" under "Choose Counseling Type"
If you log in, you will be able to:
- See your federal student loan information available in the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
- Notify schools of counseling completion
- View proof of counseling completion
Select "Getting Loans" from the top navigation bar on the StudentLoans.gov home page and then "Counseling Demo." Select "Entrance Counseling" under "Choose Counseling Type."
- You must log in to officially complete the counseling session (option 1 above)
- The "Counseling Demo" option is informational and allows school administrators to see counseling content without logging in
Parents borrowing a Direct PLUS Loan to pay for their child's education are not required to complete entrance counseling.
To complete entrance counseling as an undergraduate student or graduate/professional student, you will need:
Approximately 20-30 minutes to complete. Entrance counseling must be completed in a single session.
Name(s) of the school(s) you wish to notify of counseling completion
Useful Information to Have
Any details on your income, financial aid, and living expenses. Some of this information can be found in:
Your student account information
A copy of the award letter from your school's financial aid office (if you have received it)
A listing of the tuition and fees for your school, which can be found at CollegeNavigator.gov.