How many alternative credits can I transfer in?

It is our priority at CSU-Global to support student learning, while accelerating your degree completion. Alternative credit options allow students to demonstrate competency through a combination of knowledge, prior experiences, and independent learning in order to decrease cost and time when earning a degree. 

Undergraduate students must complete at least 30 residential credits to earn a degree - leaving room to transfer in 90 total credits. Within that 90 credits, the following are allowed for alternative credits:

  • Competency Based Exams (CBE)
    • Student can take many CBEs as they as long as they have room in their degree plan and fit in with the university transfer credit policies.  
    • No more than 50% of major courses and no more than 3 specialization courses can be completed as CBEs
  • Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
    • Students may complete up to 30 credits through Prior Learning Assessments
    • No more than 50% of major and no more than 3 specialization course requirements can be fulfilled using alternative or transfer credit. 
    • Only 300-400 level courses are eligible to be completed via PLA. COM300 is not eligible to be completed as a PLA.

*Keep in mind upper division courses (300-400) level completed via CBE or PLA do count toward a student's required 30 upper division credits.

  • Other sources of alternative credit
    • Students transfer in a maximum of 60 credits from a variety of alternative, non-traditional sources such as CLEP, DSST, StraighterLine, Saylor Academy, etc.

A couple additional notes about Alternative Credit:

  • Transferring these alternative credits to other Universities is at the discretion of the receiving institutions
  • CBE exam credit is not approved for Colorado gtPathway guaranteed transfer

Please note: Credit will not be accepted for courses that duplicate or significantly overlap each other in content and learning outcomes. Courses which by name, content, or description are developmental, remedial, or preparatory in nature will not be accepted in transfer. This may include courses which have been evaluated by faculty content experts and are found to have learning outcomes that do not match expectations for college level learning