The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is a quick and easy way to import your tax information directly into your FAFSA application and can save some additional steps if you are selected for a process called verification.
Steps to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the FAFSA
- Log into www.FAFSA.gov and click Login
- Enter your FSA Username and Password > click Next
- Click Make FAFSA Corrections (only if you've previously submitted your FAFSA. Otherwise, complete a new FAFSA)
- Create a Save Key and click Next
- Click on the Financial Information tab and select Already Completed for the tax return filing status and answer the eligibility questions
- If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will be able to click on the Link to IRS button. If not eligible, you will need to order a copy of your tax return transcripts.
- Click OK to leave the FAFSA website and enter the IRS Data Retrieval Tool site
- Enter the requested information and click Submit . Remember to enter your address exactly as it was entered on your tax return forms.
- Review the information retrieved by the IRS Tool. Check the box to Transfer My Tax Information in the FAFSA and click Transfer Now. All of your IRS data will be transferred into your FASFA and you will be returned to the FASFA website.
- Do not change any information that has Transferred from the IRS next to it or the school may be required to obtain additional information from you. Answer all the remaining questions and click Next.
- Continue to the Sign & Submit tab. Follow all of the instructions carefully and submit your corrected FAFSA.