How do I complete Entrance Counseling?

Student Loan Entrance Counseling is an important required step in the financial aid process. We want to be sure that when you take out loans you fully understand what you're signing up for.  

There are two ways to access Entrance Counseling:

  1. Log in to using your FSA ID
  • Select "Complete Counseling" on the left-hand navigation bar
  • Select "Entrance Counseling" under "Choose Counseling Type"If you log in, you will be able to:
    • See your federal student loan information available in the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
    • Notify schools of counseling completion
    • View proof of counseling completion
  1. Select "Getting Loans" from the top navigation bar on the home page and then "Counseling Demo." Select "Entrance Counseling" under "Choose Counseling Type."
  • You must log in to officially complete the counseling session (option 1 above)
  • The "Counseling Demo" option is informational and allows school administrators to see counseling content without logging in

Parents borrowing a Direct PLUS Loan to pay for their child's education are not required to complete entrance counseling unless the student is a graduate or professional student who has not received PLUS loan previously.

To complete entrance counseling as an undergraduate student or graduate/professional student, you will need:

  • Approximately 20-30 minutes to complete. Entrance counseling must be completed in a single session.
  • Your FSA ID. If you are a new user or have forgotten your FSA ID, click here.Students must log in using their own FSA ID to complete Entrance Counseling. Use of another person's FSA ID constitutes fraud. Use only your own FSA ID information.
  • Name(s) of the school(s) you wish to notify of counseling completion
Useful Information to Have
Any details on your income, financial aid, and living expenses. Some of this information can be found in:
  • Your student account information
  • A copy of the award letter from your school's financial aid office (if you have received it)
  • A listing of the tuition and fees for your school, which can be found at