How do I defer my previous student loans?

In order to defer your previous student loans, you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate, 3 credits for graduate) in the current trimester.  CSU-Global will report your scheduled enrollment status directly to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). We report this status around the end of week 3 every term. 

It's recommended that you register early and for both terms in a trimester as this will help us accurately report your trimester enrollment status to your lender. If you are attending school just half time, registering for the entire trimester in advance will help your loans stay in deferment. 

To be safe, many students contact their loan lenders and request an in-school deferment form. You should fill out sections 1, 2, 3, and 8 on the in-school deferment form before sending it to your student advisor for submission. If you're not sure who your loan lender is, check out the article Who is my lender? for more information.

You can also request a Status Letter from the Registrar to verify your enrollment though the in-school deferment previously mentioned is easier. This is a form that your Financial Aid Advisor can upload into the Documents Center of your Student Portal. Once that form is completed please email it back to your Financial Aid Advisor and they can help complete the document requirements verifying your status with CSU-Global.